Why Register Now?
My event isn’t for months, and there’s not much inventory yet. Why register early rather than wait?
Great Question! While it might make sense to wait until the inventory is more robust, there are some key reasons to register now.
- Early adopters are able to enjoy membership at a third of the regular pricing – just $99 for 13 months, rather than $250 for 12 months.
- YOU get to help us make the system better! We are interested in hearing what works for you, what doesn’t, and what features we should add in the future so we can build the best Exchange possible.
- When you join early, we offer more hands-on support to help you build greater auction success. We’re here for you, by phone or email, to rock your auction event.
- The more members in the Exchange, the more choice and success for everyone. Being one of the first 100 members helps us reach that tipping point of auction inventory to attract the thousands of users
that will give you options across the country, and internationally.
Return on Investment
How much of an increase in revenue will I see when I exchange auction packages?
Here are a few examples of auction outcomes for package exchanges completed by our members:
1. A PNW Vacation Town Family Getaway for an Alaska Outdoor Adventure
Charity 1: Luxury riverfront home sleeping 12 people for 4 nights, with rafting, guided fishing, local dining and beer tasting. Value $5,500. Local Sales History/Sales Expectation: $2,000 = $3,500 under value.
Charity 2: Rustic Alaskan lodge for 2 people for 4 nights with a full day each of ocean and river fishing, local dining and an additional 2 nights of “glamping” in a National bear preserve, with bear tours and all meals included. Value: $5,000. Local Sales History/Sales Expectation: $1,800 = $3,200 under value.
Charity 1 sold the Kenai package at auction for $6,000.
$4,000 more than their local package would have raised – a 200% increase in revenue.
Charity 2 sold the Bend package at auction for $3,600 (their highest sold package at their event).
$1,800 more than their local package would have raised – a 100% increase in revenue.
2. Luxury Golf Weekend for Big City Weekend
Charity 1: Two nights of hotel lodging, with 2 meals and 2 rounds of golf for 4 at high-end golf resort in tourist town. Value $2,500. Local Sales History/Sales Expectation: $1,200 = $1,300 under value.
Charity 2: Three nights in a metropolitan downtown loft for 4 with fine dining and urban activities. Value: $2,000. Local Sales History/Sales Expectation: $1,000 = $1,000 under value.
Charity 1 sold the Big City Weekend package at auction for $2,800.
$1,800 more than their local package would have raised – a 133% increase in revenue.
Charity 2 sold the Luxury Golf package at auction for $3,000.
$2,000 more than their local package would have raised – a 200% increase in revenue.
Why Do I Register as a User?
Registering as a Mission Limelight User is free and gives you a chance to peek inside. You’ll have access to view the available packages, but won’t be able to initiate an exchange.
Why Do I Register My Organization?
When you’re ready to become a Mission Limelight Exchange Member, the first thing you do choose a level of membership and pay the corresponding annual fee. We ask for basic information to verify your non-profit status, as only non-profits with an IRS determination letter may become Mission Limelight Members. This also makes it easy for other organizations to find you, if they’re looking for charities with your specific mission.
What if I Don’t Know My Tax ID Number?
If you don’t have easy access to your Tax ID number, you’ll need to contact the person who made the non-profit status filing for you, or contact the Internal Revenue Service.
Why Do I Register My Event?
Your event information is important, as we can help you create timelines and provide other key support based on your event date, structure and demographics. It’s also important for other non-profits to know the date, city and venue to make sure the exchange makes good sense
Why Do You Ask For Event Demographic Information? What If I Don’t Know Some of These Answers?
It may be that a non-profit’s donor preferences are for package trades to events that fit their marketing demographic.
Adding this information will help you find and qualify for as many package exchange options as possible.
Estimates are perfectly fine, and these fields are not required.
WHAT IS A GOOD PACKAGE NAME?
A good package name describes the heart of your package. For travel, consider including the location, number of days and how many people can travel. For instance, “4 Night Maui Luxury Trip for 2” would capture more attention than just “Maui Luxury Trip.”
WHAT IS A GOOD SHORT DESCRIPTION?
Here, you can add a little more detail. For instance, the short description for the package above would be “Oceanfront condo, dinner and snorkeling trip included.”
WHAT IS A GOOD LONG DESCRIPTION?
Fully describe the package as you would in your auction catalog. The more detail, the better! Our search engine indexes all the words in your description so people can find your package easily. Here is your chance to really shine!
Also – make good use of the hyperlink to showcase your donors! The package description edit bar allows you to highlight and link text easily.
Following the Maui package above, here’s an example description:
“This package offers four luxurious nights in a one bedroom, oceanfront condo on Kaanapali Beach. Your kitchenette is the perfect place to start the day with coffee and pastries, delivered to your door each morning, or to prepare a simple lunch using the microwave, two burner stove or the toaster oven. The fridge is stocked daily with bottled water and fresh juices.
The private deck overlooks the waves and the two person hot tub is a perfect place to enjoy a glass of wine while you watch the sun set.
Just blocks away are some of the best shopping and dining to be found on all of Maui.
Your trip also includes the following:
- Chef’s Tasting dinner for two, with wine pairings, at the famous Lahaina Grill.
- Guided snorkeling tour at Black Rock, with lunch
WHAT are tags?
Package tags make it easier for other users to find your package. You can enter as many tags as you like, separated by commas. Get creative here!
For example: A trip to San Francisco includes two nights lodging in a deluxe king room at the Fairmont San Francisco. Located atop Nob Hill, it provides the perfect location to explore all the restaurant, bars and boutiques the neighborhood has to offer. Tags: San Francisco Dining Shopping Romantic Wine
What if i don’t know the value of the package or items in the package?
Your donor(s) should provide you with a fair market value for each of their donations. Please contact them for information, as needed.
What if the item does not have a value, or is priceless?
For an experience that doesn’t have a value – for instance a celebrity meeting or a VIP tour of a special place – please enter an amount that you believe fairly represents the experience value at auction. You’ll want to note in your package description that it includes a “priceless” experience and describe fully.
What if i don’t have a donor name or they want to remain anonymous?
That’s not a problem. You can leave the donor field blank, or type in “Anonymous.” Don’t forget that this is a good way to show your donors some love, so include them, if you know them!
I Need to Make a Change or Addition To My Package. How Can I do that?
On your dashboard, you’ll see an “Edit” button on your package placards. Edit away!
I Don’t See A Way to Remove or Add Pictures After I Save My Package. What Gives?
That functionality is currently under development. In the meanwhile, please feel free to Contact Us if you need a photo removed.
How do I Delete An Entire Package?
Please Contact Us if you need a package removed.
Talking with Your Donors about Exchange
How do I Explain to my Donors that Exchanging is a Win Win Situation?
Great question! Chances are many of your auction donors have experienced some of the pain points and lack of benefits described below. Here are some talking points for your conversations with your local donors:
- Local donations often go for less than value at local auctions, as they’re not new/unique to the audience. Exchanging creates the opportunity for local donors to generate even MORE revenue for their favorite non-profit by approving an online exchange of their donation.
- Donors will actually be helping two nonprofits raise money for their mission!
- This is an excellent opportunity for a local hotel, restaurant, rental home, product or service to be highlighted in a new market and reach new potential customers.
- Donors can communicate their preferences about what type of organization/mission (ex: children’s services, animal rescue, performing arts) their donation would go to, as well as geographical areas or other criteria that would best support their philanthropic and marketing goals.
- No more watching your generous donation go for less than value at auction.
- Full transparency: Donor can know which organization received the donation; the names of the guests who won the auction package; what it sold for and contact info for receiving agency and donor. It will not disappear into the ether!
- Note: the Exchange may not be a good fit for a private vacation home/condo that is not professionally managed or already in a rental pool. Oftentimes, these donors are looking to have a closer/more personal relationship with the local charity and the eventual winner to create the level of comfort needed to feel good about the donation.
Communicating with Other Organizations
How Do I Communicate With Other Organizations?
If you have questions or ideas about a package where you’ve requested an exchange, simply visit your Dashboard, and click on the “Sent Requests” tab. Here you’ll see a link to contact the other party. We keep your contact information private, so the messages will be sent to and from a Mission Limelight address. Once you’re ready to share contact information, simply include your e-mail and/or phone number in a message to the other party and begin communicating offline.
Mission Limelight Exchange currently supports the following browsers:
• Internet Explorer 11 & Edge
• Firefox 45-47
• Chrome 50-52
• iOS Safari 8-9